Friday, January 6, 2012

A Single Woman's Rant on Stupid Girls, Men, and Settling

Proven fact: women are needy, desperate creatures that are completely dependent on having a man in order to function. I find it sad to see girls settling for some douchebag just so they won't be alone. They go from man to man, afraid to be single, unable to comprehend concepts like "self-worth" and "respect". Psh, who needs that when you have the warm indifference of a guy you've been dating for three days? I feel for these girls, but I'm also angry for them. Really? You're going to marry some chump that acts like an ass to you in front of his friends or has nothing interesting to say? "Oh, but he can be sweet." Yes, he can also be a condescending, insensitive, emotionless bastard and he doesn't understand at all what you need.

What does a girl need? Well, let me be the first to say that there are a few basics: personal integrity, honesty, attentiveness, kindness, sensitivity to people's feelings. I would like all these qualities, please, along with a sense of humor, good looks, and the acceptance that we are two equal people (not that I belong in the kitchen). I sometimes think that my standards are too high, but let me tell you something, if you're feeling the same way: they're not. We deserve everything we could want in a man and we shouldn't have to settle for anything less. How come other women don't feel the same? How come they do settle? Are they that afraid to be alone? I wish girls would take more pride in themselves and what they can get in a man. I know they got a good bargain on their model, but there are better values out there.

Why is it so hard? Why are all the good ones taken? Hell, why are the crappy ones taken? I don't know what has perpetuated the cycle of whiney, arrogant man-babies and the hoard of insecure, dependent girls, but it's pissing me off. I'm frustrated when all the guys I'm attracted to reject me and when all the guys who want me don't quite have the chemistry I'm looking for (or x, y, and z, for that matter). Sure, I stick to my principles and never settle, but it's hard not to get down on yourself and feel incredibly lonely.

I see the couples in Barnes and Noble, with their matching thrift store flannel shirts and their edgy hair cuts and Buddy Holly glasses. I see them in Target with their 4 kids and their buggy full of cereal and smug happiness. I see them in Walmart with their pound of pork and their missing teeth, and I think, "why can't I have that?" I want pork love, too.

My main point though is that most women seem to settle. We all knew these girls in high school: high need for attention, always had a boyfriend, totally insecure about their appearance even though they were beautiful. Devastated after each break-up, she found her comfort in the next boyfriend's arm and only feigned confidence while she was on his arm. It's offensive to all of womanhood and those of us who aren't like that.

To those of you who break the mold, kick a lot of ass, and have a mind of your own, I salute you. To those who are insecure, unsure what their opinions are, and in constant need of the love and affection of males, I pity you. I may despise your ways, but really, at the heart of it, you're just a lost, scared, mindless person. I wish I could set you free, but that's your decision, one you likely won't ever make.

For those of us who are changing the face of womanity, let's be an inspiration. Keep on being you, ladies. And don't ever settle!