Sunday, January 1, 2012

Grown Up Thoughts on Nick Jr. Programming

After a year of watching Nick Jr, I can't help but being analytical and critical of the shows and their storylines. I get bored.

1. Max and Ruby's parents are never around. Sure, their grandmother is sometimes, but generally, they run amuck all by themselves. Also, Ruby has a tendency to be negative and discouraging to her little brother. Someone needs to parent her.
2.  The Backyardigans are legitimately cool. For the songs alone, this show is enjoyable for adults. Their version of the "12 Days of Christmas" was surprisingly amazing. And don't try to crush my review by saying it's autotuned and studio formulated. Of course it is! But it's still wonderfully crafted.

3. How can Lenny of The Wonder Pets be a girl? I appreciate that this female character is the leader of the group and does not adhere to typical female stereotypes like wearing pink or being cutesy and girly, but at the same time, Lenny (the hamster) is a little butch. It's sending confusing messages.

4.Team Umizoomi could probably get more done if they would stop screwing around. It seems that in every episode I see, the team stops so often to practice their math skills or learn shapes that they get critically sidetracked from their mission. It's just bad time management skills. Umifail.

5. There is no one that could appear on Yo Gabba Gabba that would surprise me. I don't care if it's Mike Tyson or Charlie Sheen or the Pope. They've already had Jack Black, the Roots, and My Chemical Romance, to name a few. Guest starring is a good career move for anyone and everyone loves this show. Personally, I find all of the characters annoying (they are over the top and just obnoxious), save for the one human, DJ Lance Rock. It takes a real secure black man to play a DJ on a kid's show.

6. Without Steve, Blue's Clues is straight crap. Steve was a total dork. But he was so genuine and so good at the role. Joe is just plain retarded. No offense out there. It's just, I don't believe him; I can tell he's acting. And he's being a condescending ass most of the time, not a true child-like, sincere person like Steve. By the way, Steve never overdosed on drugs or anything. He voluntarily quit in 2002.

And there you have it. Just a few things that go through my mind, unstopped, while watching sweet, educational children's shows. I smell a sequel.